Monday, May 9, 2011

10,000 Reps before you master the steps?? Really??

Well here I sit on my son's couch feeling blessed... How fortunate I am to be able to take a week off from my office.. notice I didn't say work... (have laptop will travel) and come up here to help take care of my future daughter-in-law who just had major hip surgery on Tuesday... the poor thing is in so much pain, can barely get around, is in a brace and hooked up to an ice machine...

She was born with hip displasia and it was degenerating very quickly causing this 29 year old much pain.... she opted to get the one hip done now (before their Sept 10th wedding) and then the other one some time after the wedding.... imagine living 29 years in such pain... not to mention the next few months of intense rehab to follow now...

We all complain about things in our life that makes us uncomfortable but... if you are healthy and the body works well... you have nothing to complain about... I look at my 97 year old grandmother and her stiffness and arthritis is the worst part of the aging.. and for me it's painful to watch her... I used to get weak at the knees and my legs ached (I know that sounds funny) when my kids got hurt.... or when  family or a friend hurt themselves... I had a hard time looking because of it... I felt it... it made me sad.... and forget it if an animal is hurt... I can't breathe....

As I get older its less intense for me.. hmmm am I just getting used to it.. have I seen enough to harden me to it.... have I lived it enough myself to just get over it.... I don't think so... I believe when you are called to action... you do what you gotta do... not that it doesn't pull at your heart.. or your knees go weak.. or  you want to save that person or animal from pain.. no not that at all... I think as I age, I am getting stronger.... more able to be stronger for others... not such a wienie..... and not to react so violently in my own mind and body.... my heart still aches and I still want to save them but somehow age brings with it a wisdom that allows us to adapt to a situation.. bringing the strength needed at that moment to be who you need to be right then and there...

I also know having been through numerous surgeries and incidents in my own life... is proof.. that healing can happen as it should when you let it... when you flow with the natural progression of things, you allow the process to happen at a rate it is supposed to happen at.... and for those of us that want to save others from pain...... just need to go with the flow as well.... allow nature to take its course... feed them, keep them calm and comfortable and ensure they are taken care of... and the biggie.... not to take the pain away from them.... nor the lessons that they will learn from the pain.....

Even though, especially your children... you don't want to see them hurting... in any way.... it worries you... concern for them can consume you....but....... you have lived to become the incredible person you are.... you have learned from your deepest sorrow, the greatest joys, the massive mistakes, the amazing triumphs and you have survived.... no, more then survived you have grown.... you have battle wounds and scars that remind you of all of these things... you have tattoos on your brain and your heart to commemorate every little thing.... you have walked inside the fire when you felt compelled and outside the fire when you were too afraid of getting burned.... but all in all you, yes you, have developed into an incredible being that has learned lessons in life that make you who you are... we are all the sum of our experiences...

I read yesterday in Oprah mag someone saying we are not born with innate abilities and talents in us.. that it take repetition and practice to be good at something... that you have to do something 10,000 times to become a master at it... hmmm can the same be said for life...

If that's the truth then are any of us really masters at anything... I say bring it on... bring them on... let me learn as I live... let me live as I learn... let me give with all my heart... let the ache happen as it should and give me the strength to help others do the same...

Ahhhhh, there is alot of life, hurt, joy, mistakes and triumphs for me to learn.... bring it on.....

No comments:

Post a Comment