Saturday, April 9, 2011

Pat a Woman on the back today... tell her she's Amazing, Brilliant and SHE Matters!

Women are the worst for accepting recognition when in fact, recognition is one of the essentials of life... oh yes it is... you may argue that this is not true and go back to the hierarchy of needs but I defy you to debate the issue and tell me that this is just not so....

The "atagirl" proverbial pat on the back "job well done" or the "looking good today" or "give it to Suzie she always does it well" all of those and more are like water a body drinks in to feel alive...... our development depends on this acknowledgement... every single one of us wants to feel like we make a difference on this planet and in the lives of others... that we matter....

Being recognized publicly by our peers is even bigger and one that causes stress for many of us.... I remember in 2008, I got the phone call from then CEO of the Whitby Chamber of Commerce.. Tina, hon... I am so pleased to tell you.... you have won Business Person of the Year... what I said... stunned.... not quite sure where to hide.... I couldn't hide, I was in my office..... asking really in a calm manner.... oh yes.. congratulations... then she proceeded to tell me about the event where I would receive my award and to prepare a speech... really??? are you sure you mean me... why??? why not????? OK....

Got off the phone and thought OMG what if they find out I am a fake.... I have no idea what I am doing.... I am flying by the skin of my teeth, making it up as I go... really.... I can't stand up in front of 250-300 people and pretend that I am worthy of this award.... there are so many more deserving people they could have chosen... why me.... really??? I tried and tried to write my speech, keeping it in the 2 minutes.... and I kept feeling like a fake.... bought the outfit to wear.... and 2 hours before the event... no speech.... hmmmm so I sat in my office and put it out to FB... and privately a message came back... it was a poem from a then POWE member and words of encouragement.... I sat tall in my chair and wrote, using some of those words... and thanking who I wanted to.... fluidly and eloquently... I was proud of myself.... then got to the podium and told the entire audience that I was nervous and was going to puke.......... oh yes I did.... lol..... but composed myself and read my thank you..... brilliant..... simply brilliant and under 2 minutes.....

I carried that lovely crystal award back to my table and sat it there feeling my name engraved on it.... and not quite sure if I was dreaming or not... then the call came that I was up for another award only a few weeks later... didn't take it seriously that I would win or even a contender again.... and the night of the dinner guess whose name got called... I won the Phenomenal Woman Award....

After this, I realized... wow.. Tina you really are awesome... brilliant... beautiful.... loving... kind and all that and a bag of chips..... my company has won a few award over the last couple of years and I am proud of this.... and yet again it comes around.... I am being honoured for being a change in our world on April 16th at Amazing Woman's Day in Toronto.... how cool is that...................

How lovely... only this time I don't feel that reminiscent tug of "you don't deserve this.... what if they find out you are a fake......... who do you think you are...." nope I don't feel any of this at all..... because why not me.... I live my life helping others.... I have been a true servant..... I have made differences in others lives.... really cared about women and shown them possibilities.... I have myself, lived by example, going after my own dreams and goals on purpose...... I have done my job.... done it well... and I am proud of me... what I have accomplished... who I am... and where I am going now.... I am an Amazing Woman!!

On April 29th at the POWE gala, we will honour POWE women who have been peer nominated and will choose a national winner in 3 categories.... how fabulous is that... then dance the night away and celebrate each other... we will be entertained and have a chance to hug old friends, meet new ones and live fully in the moment...

They are Amazing women.... they are POWErful women.... I am an Amazing woman.... I am a POWErful woman.... YOU too are an amazingly POWErful woman..... imagine if all the women of the world really lived in this knowing............ imagine what we would accomplish... imagine what you could accomplish.... imagine the barriers of jealousy, shame, guilt and non-deserving not existing... imagine women changing the world more boldly....

Pat a woman, a girl, your mom, your sister, your staff on the back today and tell them "Way to go girl... job well done.... you rock sister.... no one does it better..... or simply say... YOU MATTER!!!!"

For info on attending the Amazing Woman's Day, Toronto April 16th - click here

For info on attending the POWE Awards & Fundraising Gala, Ajax April 29th - click here

No comments:

Post a Comment